Whether you’re hosting Galentine's Day or spending Valentine’s Day with a family night in, here are some of our favorite ways to set the mood.
Super simple but a stunner at your Valentine’s Day party, this sweet cocktail is sure to please everyone – including your kids! Use club soda instead of champagne for a fun mocktail. Take it to the next level with adorable pink or heart-shaped straws (plus, it keeps your lipstick from rubbing off!)
• 1 bottle of champagne
• 1 package of cotton candy
• Optional: Substitute champagne with club soda
1. Fill glass with a small amount of cotton candy.
2. Slowly pour champagne into the glass.
3. Add a tuft of cotton candy on the rim.
You can never go wrong with a charcuterie board. Totally customizable for any gathering, a board looks just as good as it tastes. Read our Charcuterie Board Guide blog post for all our tips, including rose-shaped meats.
What could be more perfect than a pink cake for Valentine’s Day? Plus it tastes just as good as it looks with fresh strawberries and cream cheese icing. Its light and sweet which makes it great for a daytime brunch or romantic dinner.
• 1¼ cups butter unsalted, softened
• 2½ cups granulated sugar
• 5 large eggs
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice about 1 lemon
• 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 3 ounce package strawberry-flavored gelatin
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon table salt
• 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
• 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
Cream Cheese Frosting
• 2 8 ounce packages (16 ounces, total) cream cheese, softened
• ½ cup butter unsalted
• ¼ teaspoon table salt
• 2 lemons; juice and zest
• ¾ cup diced fresh strawberries mashed
• 3½-4 cups powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F and set the oven rack to middle position.
2. Spray two round cake tins with non-stick baking spray. Can swap with a (18x13x1-inch) rimmed baking sheet and do not have to stack two round cakes.
3. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add sugar and continue beating for about 3 minutes or until lighter in color and fluffy.
4. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well combined.
5. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla.
6. In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, gelatin, baking soda and salt.
7. Turn mixer to low speed. Starting with the flour mixture, beat in the flour and buttermilk alternately to the butter mixture in 5 additions (beginning and ending with flour) beating just long enough after each addition to be blended.
8. Add the strawberries and stir.
9. Spread batter into prepared baking tin.
10. Bake at 350°F 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Using a stand mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and salt at medium speed until creamy and lighter in color.
2. Beat in fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and mashed fresh strawberries just until blended.
3. Turn mixer to low speed and slowly add enough powdered sugar until the desired consistency is achieved.
4. If the mixture is too thick, add more lemon juice or mashed strawberries.
Put It All Together
1. Cool cake on a cooling rack.
2. Shave off the rounded top of cakes until flat so it can stack. Save crumbs to the side for later.
3. If desired, shave off the brown sides of the cake so see the pink inside instead of brown on the outside. Tip: Put in the freezer for 30 minutes so it’s more firm and can easily shave off the sides.
4. Put one cake facing bottom down on cake board (can also use cardboard with wax paper on it), stand or plate.
5. Add frosting to the top of the cake.
6. Stack second cake with bottom facing up for a very flat top.
7. Frost the top and side of the cake as desired.
8. Crumble cake shavings from earlier on the sides of the cake. Can cover up any holes or inconsistencies.
9. Add strawberries or another topper on the top of the cake.
10. Keep unused frosted cake covered and refrigerated up to 2 days.
Be the hostess with the mostess! Now that you have the recipe for an adorable Valentine’s Day celebration, dress it up with some pink styles from our Valentine's Day Shop. Explore more sun safe fashion for everyday & vacay in a variety of original prints and flattering silhouettes.