Do you get excited when you hear that 40 is the new 20, but then you look in the mirror and your exuberance comes crashing down? You may be young at heart, but how young is your skin? Here’s a "Do you look your age" quiz to help you determine if your skin is aging faster than you are.
Do You Look Your Age Quiz
1. How many sunburns have you had in your life? A. What’s a sunburn? B. One or two as a child. C. One or two a year. D. All the time—I burn before I tan.
2. Do you smoke? A. Never have, never will. B. I used to. C. Sometimes I still do. D. Yes, heavily.
3. How much water do you drink? A. More than 64 oz. a day . B. I’m not sure, but I make sure to drink before I get too thirsty. C. 8 oz. a day. D. I don’t drink water, but I drink tea, coffee, soda and/or juice.
4. What SPF do you swear by? A. 75. B. 30. C. 15. D. What is SPF?
5. How often do you wear sunscreen or wear sun protective clothing? A. Every day, without fail. B. Any time I go outside. C. When I’m at the beach. D. Never.
6. How often do you exercise? A. At least 5 days a week. B. At least 3 days a week. C. I go in phases. D. I don’t.
7. How many fruits and vegetables do you eat? A. At least 5 servings a day. B. 3-5 servings a day. C. 1-2 servings a day. D. Are French fries a vegetable?
8. How often do you use moisturizer? A. Twice a day. B. Once a day. C. When I remember. D. Never.
9. How much sleep do you get every night? A. At least 10 hours. B. At least 8 hours. C. At least 6 hours. D. I try to stay awake as much as possible.
10. What do you use to wash your face or remove your makeup? A. A cream-based cleanser or Vaseline-like product. B. A cleanser formulated for my skin type. C. Soap and water. D. Nothing.
Mostly As: Timeless Beauty People have no idea how old you really are. That’s because you make your health and skincare a priority. You wear sunscreen on a daily basis, you protect your skin with moisturizing products and you remove makeup, dirt and oil with a product that provides a barrier to the elements. You also maintain a healthy weight by exercising (gaining and losing pounds is one of the worst things you can do to create saggy skin and wrinkles), healing your body through sleep and eating a nutrient-rich diet. You drink lots of water, so your skin stays hydrated, and you don’t smoke, which can cause wrinkles, especially around your lips. Keep up the good work, and people will always believe you when you lie about your age.
Mostly Bs: Fair Maiden You’re pretty vigilant about your health and appearance, but you weren’t always this way. Perhaps you went through a period in your youth during which you sunbathed with baby oil or weren’t so mindful about your skincare routine. You’re taking care of yourself now, though, so it hasn’t caught up to you yet. Make sure that you don’t slack on your hydration, cleansing and moisturizing habits and sunscreen routine. Continue to get enough sleep, eat right and exercise, and you’ll be on your way to the fountain of youth.
Mostly Cs: True to You You haven’t always focused on your health, and it shows. You don’t get carded when you buy alcohol, and you haven’t since you were 21. However, you don’t look ten years older than you are. People see you as mature and well-rounded. Prevent your skin from getting even more lines and wrinkles by protecting it now (and for the rest of your life). Boost your SPF to 30, and wear it every day. Add a layer of sun protective clothing, like a rashguard or beach pants, when you’ll be in the sun for a while. Don’t skimp on your skin care routine, and start getting to bed earlier.
Mostly Ds: Wise Elder You look older than your years. While this imparts an air of wisdom and maturity, it’s not necessarily the path that you want to continue heading down. Don’t give up now. You can still make a difference in your skin’s health. Prevent further damage by revamping your routine. Avoid the sun, wear sunscreen along with floppy hats, UPF 50+ clothing and large sunglasses. Ditch the sugary, caffeinated drinks for water. When it comes to cleansing and moisturizing, don’t overdo it, and use products that create a moisture barrier. Dermatological treatments such as Botox and lasers can treat aging skin, but it’s not going to stay youthful if you don’t take care of it.
There are plenty of skincare products on the market, but some of them do absolutely nothing, and it’s hard to sift through the multitudes of options. When it comes to preventing fine lines and wrinkles, experts agree that the best things that you can do are avoid the sun and use products with retinoids. Add in a health-boosting routine that involves regular exercise, healthful eating and plenty of sleep, and you’ll be on your way to youthful beauty that will last a lifetime.
*This do you look your age quiz is for entertainment purposes only