It's National Ice Cream Day, and we wanted to share the joys of super-simple homemade ice cream. Before you click away, thinking that making ice cream at home is too complicated, maybe you should reconsider. A homemade ice cream recipe doesn't have to be difficult or labor-intensive. The perfect homemade ice cream recipe delicately combines natural flavors without much fuss.
We really think that you should try it for yourself before you make judgment.
(Scroll down below the recipe for some bonus tips on how to make ice cream at home.)
Orange Cream Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
-8 egg yolks (from large eggs)
-1 cup white granulated sugar
-1/4 tsp kosher salt
-2 cups milk (use skim to cut down on the fat, or use 2% for creamier ice cream)
-zest from 2 oranges
-2 cups heavy cream (can use heavy whipping cream)
1. In a bowl or saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and salt until the mixture is light yellow.
2. Add the milk in a steady stream, whisking continuously.
3. If necessary, transfer to a saucepan and place over medium heat on the stove, stirring constantly.
4. In about 10 minutes, the mixture should be a thick custard that coats the back of a spoon.
5. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest.
6. Cover and let the custard stand at room temperature for half an hour.
7. Add the heavy cream, stirring until combined.
8. Pour everything into a large chilled bowl, and set the bowl in the refrigerator.
9. Stir every 10 minutes until the mixture is completely cold.
10. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn it according to the manufacturer's directions.
Tips for The Best Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
-Make sure custard is completely cooled before churning.
-The ice cream won't become as hard as commercial ice cream until you remove it from the ice cream maker and freeze it.
-No ice cream maker? No problem! Check out these tips for making ice cream without an ice cream machine.
-Freeze in a loaf pan for easy scooping.
-Place a scoop in between two sugar cookies for a perfect-sized ice cream sandwich.
Now go make some simple summer ice cream. Don't forget to invite your friends over to sample it!